Wednesday, July 15, 2015

the smell of old houses

When we lived on Ave B, we referred to it as the “old house”. In fact my sister and I still do. Even though the old house and the new house we move to after that are both since torn down.  The old house has a smell about it that I remember from childhood.   Recently while at an Estate Sale in OKC, I smelled it again.  It is a mix of dust and old wood trapped in old rugs/carpets. The air was pushed around by fans in this 1920’s home.  We walked in to the sale and I immediately knew I had smelled it before as a kid.   My nose soaked it in as I remembered our old home.  This house was large with oversized doorways and windows.  The front living room was anchored by and large brick fireplace. Each side was flanked by chest high built in book cases. I could see wood floors peeking out under old rugs and carpets.  The dining room in the center of the house was so large that it was used as a pass through from the kitchen on one end to the bedroom on the right side. It was essentially the hub of the house.  The large pieces of furniture were placed around the room along with a full sofa. It was a large room. The dining room was grand and spacious with high cross beam ceilings.  This house was a lot grander than were I had lived.  Still the similarities stood out as we shopped the sale.  There was much to choose from. The woman who had died apparently lived a long time in this old house on 39th street.  Her furniture was amazing and classic. They were well priced antiques, but were out of my budget.  Her cloths were vintage fashions from the 1950’s and 60’s.  She has so many hats, that they were all just heaped into a large box for sale.  I saw many pieces, I‘d love to have them but sadly what would I do with them? They were too small.

I did find a few small items including a piece of Carnival Glass.  I think it’s a tooth pick holder but I will use it as a votive holder.  It will remind me of the day I smelled our old house again.

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...