Wednesday, December 19, 2012

this just popped in my head

We used to live in this two story house.  It seemed large to a little kid.  The house was large, but very old.  I think I may have talked about it before.  We lived there until I was in first grade then we moved across town.  The old house was falling apart, but because my parents were poor, we called it home and tried to make the best of it.  When you are a kid, you really don’t know any different.  You assume that that is just the way things are.  It does not bother you that the sink in the bathroom does not work, that you don’t have hot water coming out of the faucet and that mama got out the big pots to boil water on the stove on bath night.  We didn’t have a phone, no cable.  In the summer we had box fans in the windows and sometimes faced them out ward to pull the hot air out of the house.  The old house was where we lived when my brother and older sister started school.  Like most young kids, my sister was the first to get involved in after school activities.  She was a member of Campfire.  Camp Fire USA, originally Camp Fire Girls of America, is a nationwide American youth organization that began in 1910. Its programs emphasize camping and other outdoor activities for youth. Camp Fire's programs, including small group experiences, after-school programs, camping and environmental education, child care and service learning, build confidence in younger children and provide hands-on, youth driven leadership experiences for older youth. They also sold candy.  I am not sure if they still do, but I remember my sister getting dressed up in her uniform and selling boxes of it.  My mom would make her practice her “lines”. I guess if kids knew what to say they would be able to sell more candy.  My mom would close the bed room door. My sister would pretend she was at a neighbor’s door and give her sales speech while my mom would play the role of  the neighbor /sales victim.  They would try answering the door several times and with different scenarios.  For instance, if the customer said ‘I’m sorry I don’t eat candy’, my sister was taught to say, “perhaps you should purchase some to give to your grandchildren. Candy make a nice gift”  It is funny what you remember from child hood.  It was just something silly I remember. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...