Friday, June 29, 2012

two safety pins and an old wig.

I truly wish that everyone has that one day in their life where they feel sexy, and beautiful.  So far I have not found it. I have felt beautiful many times. I always think I look nice. But never see myself as sexy.   And my attempt s to look sexy ends up feeling pathetic and stupid.  Once we did a hooker theme show.  It was supposed to be fun. Raunchy music and risque  outfits.....but  I felt underwhelming and inadequate in that department.  The crowd loved the theme. I was unsure.  I also find that no matter how many people compliment you, it is hard to overcome your own image of yourself.  I tried to dress in what I thought was a Hollywood version of ‘sexy street walker’ (that is a term I made up in my head).  I wore red-blonde hair and a tight short dress, some busted fish nets and my highest heel to added to the look.  My other friends in the show just dressed slutty.  They had lots of fake cleavage and lots of leg, wild hair and flirtatious attitude. Then just before my sexy number,  I decieded to rely on my comic talents instead.  I would be funny to cover my insecurities.   It was the first show that I didn’t take along a full gown or sassy dance costume.  In fact I rarely ever perform in a cocktail dress.  But I did have an extra wigs in my suit case.  I quickly safety pinned it on under my skirt.  I strutted on stage and at just the right moment, flashed my fake crotch to the audience.  They died with laughter. Yep, I had just won them over.  The crowd roared with applause and laughter. And they tipped well too.   Being a queen is similiar to being a clown/comedian.  You find a way to deal with your own insecurities and issues in order to connect with the audience.  I can't be sexy, but I can be funny!

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...