Monday, December 29, 2014

Just a memory.

When I was a kid, My mom would always make us do chores. Every one did chores. Some time dishes, vacuuming, or laundry.  I always had to throw the trash. That meant taking the tall kitchen trash can room to room and collecting the trash including the bathroom trash. It was not fun. My mother didn't want us dragging the bag by itself, because it may rip and trash would have to be picked up again inside the house.  I remember that the upper rim of the can was about eye level with my 8 year old body.  And I remember how the can would stink when the bag came out.  Oh the stink of household trash, So gross.  Especially if it had been in there for a few days.  I would literally drag the can up the gravel driveway out to the dumpster.  It was a feat of strength to lift the can up and dump the trash in.  There were a few times the bag didn't slide out and the entire can would fall in. Crap!  Imagine me standing on a milk crate, trying to retrieve the tall kitchen can.  Mama would have been mad if I had returned with out it.  I also remember bring the can back empty, thinking my job was done.  Most time it was done but occasionally my mother would say, "get the broom and some Joy and scrub the trash can out in the yard.  And of course, I did it.  And would rinse it with the water hose.  
This memory came to me when I was recently in the yard, washing the trash can.

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...