Friday, February 10, 2012

Wed nite at Cherries

I went to see the Whitney Paige Show on Wednesday . There is new hot spot called Cherries. They have been open for a few months.  It is owned by a friend, Randy Norman.  I met Randy a few years ago when he was managing another club in Ft Worth.  Now he has a new business in Dallas. Cherries is off of the strip, but still close.  It is located at corner of Knight and Maple.  Randy is great guys who, unlike other managers, see the value and profits that come from drag shows.  Randy also has on staff dancers, shot boys, drag queens on stage and behind the bar and some of the best bartenders who are ready to serve your every beverage desire.  So far he has created a good club with big name performers and friendly customer service.  I hope that Randy’s Club Cherries success continues.  I enjoy having a place to unwind with out the big night club venue.  Cherrie’s is very friendly and more personal.  
I was very entertained on Wed night.  I was in the crowd, but not dressed in drag.  I was just Tomas, in jeans and a shirt, hoodie jacket and ball cap.  But still it was nice to see people who recognized me,iIncluding Whitney Paige.  She was there when I was crowned Miss Oklahoma USofA at Large 10 years ago in Tulsa.  Whitney still looks great and is always a crowd pleaser.  No matter if you like her or not, every queen should take a lesson from her about professionalism.  She is a true pro.  I see it as the key to her long success.  Whitney said hello to me, and joked  before the show.  She sat at the bar and conversed with everyone around her.  She was wearing a long pony tail and her makeup flawless. 
The  show started and included Whitney, Silkie Ohara, and Sassy.  Silkie is a beautiful black trans queen.  She is thin and tall.  I meet her a few years ago in For Worth.  We were both booked together.  She gave me a pair of shoes; she complained the heel was too short.   I guess she was used to walking in “skyscrapers” heels.  She was friendly in Fort Worth and was still lovely again this past Wednesday at cherries. Sassy is a trans queen, who I do not know personally, but she was very funny and a good entertainer on Wednesday night.  I loved her red fringe costume, although I though her lady boob might come out at every jiggle.  But she only had a flash of bra, no nipples showing.

I also saw other queens I know in the audience, Including Vega St. James and Josephine O’hara Edwards.  They are both two very talented black queens.  I met them both separately about 8 years ago.  I was living in Wichita Falls and they were both competing in state level pageants.  I met Josephine just before she won Miss Gay Texas America.  She was traveling the prelim circuit as entertainer because she had already placed at another prelim.  That is one of the advantages of entering early in the pageant season. You get to travel.   She was a great dancer, very elegant and a beautiful smile.  She loved wearing swing skirts and silver ballroom shoes.  She could spin with such grace.  She has undergone some changes since then.  She now lives a trans life. But she is still a friendly person with a big heart. I saw her last, about a year ago.  I was great to see her again.
Vega St James was very friendly on Wed.  She and I used to work shows at club "Illusions" back for they closed a few years ago.  I always enjoyed her illusions.  She would do the impersonations of Whitney Houston, Dion Warwick and Pattie Labelle.  During pageant season, she would always place in the top group.  I remember at one prelim pageant, Vega won.  She looked and performed like a class act. She wowed the judges with her solo Pattie Labelle talent. Each facial expression, and each word was lip-synched to perfection, in my opinion.  The runner up was not happy. She had props and flashy costumes and danced to a pop mix of music.  She could not understand why, she had not won.  I remember breaking it down for her.  Vega has Talent! 
I really enjoyed seeing some old friends.  They were so nice.  You never know who you will run into.  I’m glad I went.  There is talk about an upcoming pageant, and everyone is wondering if I’m entering.  All I will say at this point is....show up and find out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Whitney Paige memory...

Hmmm.

Ask her about how long it took her to get her makeup on because of Kerri Strug.

Mattie Madison said...

Interesting, I will ask. Thanks.

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...