Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year's Eve past

I used to spend every New Year‘s Eve in drag all through my twenties.  It was fun.  Friends and I would all meet up at the bar and ringing in the New Year together with party hats over our wigs and noise makers in our hands.  We would dress in our most glamorous party drag.  We would spend time styling wigs and buying makeup, and sometimes new outfits. The Asian ladies at the wig store loved a group of gay cross-dressers in their store.  They didn't care, they saw dollar signs and were eagar to let us try on wigs.  I remember beaded cocktail dresses were in style in the 90’s.  I had a purple and gold one that was my favorite. It paired well with some size 11 black heels that were comfortable to wear all evening.  Back when I started drag, most of my shoes were black, because shoe sizes were hard to find.  And my outfits were black too.  I would drive across town to get the larger sizes from Payless.  But you had to get there before the black ladies raided the store.  They would wipe out the 11,12 and 13’s.  New Years was always a good time. The bar would be packed.  All of the tables would be reserved. But for me, the drag social butterfly it didn't matter.  I would mingle all night and enjoy being “seen” in my best drag.  In a small city, I knew most everyone at the bar. After all it was the only bar in town.  I was also no stranger to a free drink or two.  We drag queens would also travel in packs to use the men’s room.  Most night we would use the ladies room, but on this big night, these were already too many females in there.  Plus most butch dikes were offended by men in dresses peeing standing up.  But it was the call of nature, but it took an extra minute to retuck our dicks and shimmy up our panty hose again.  Perhaps females were just impatient or felt invaded. 
I always felt the bar was more a men’s bar. Men liked  to drink and socializing and taking home the occasional trick from the bar. Lesbian couples on the other hand were more inclined to be domestic.   They would meet and quickly move in together after a few weeks.  They always seemed to want to play house.  I guess that was a girl thing; making families with a domestic partner and children from previous relationships.  Men seemed to enjoy sleeping around or having anonymous sex in the local parks. Some even got arrested for doing so. No one was interested in true dating and getting to know another guy. Two guys living together in Wichita Falls also made life difficult because of closed minded community. I only knew a few committed couples back then.  I guess most gay guys wanted to be free, and not confined to martial roles. This is something that is more accepted in today’s society.  Men like to play house now too.  The challenge has always been finding a man who would accept the wigs, clothes and make up.  

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...