Monday, October 3, 2011

Mosaic Lounge/Gay Pride


Tasha Kohl and Mattie Madison  Oct 1, 2011

After the parade ended, I skipped the street festival that followed and went home for a much needed nap.  I had a show booked that night in Fort Worth. I was a VIP entertainer at the Mosaic Lounge. This event was in conjunction with the Gay Pride activities. Some of the best Queens in Fort Worth were asked by invitation to perform at a local straight club. Mosaic Lounge is located in down town near Sundance Square. Sundance square is the hub of night life in Downtown. There were tons of people on Saturday night. There are numerous clubs, restaurants and shops. The clubs and bars there are all straight. But Mosaic Lounge is a new hot spot, and welcomed us to put on a show. Fort Worth has made huge strides in making our city an open and friendly one for all citizens. This was evident by our new parade route and changes in city policy. In fact our current Mayor Betsy Price was riding in the parade. That was awesome. Former mayor Mike Moncreiff, who recently left office, supported zero discrimination for all citizens. Fort Worth is quickly becoming a model for inclusive policy changes and government lead forward thinking.
 I was nervous about being downtown at night in high whore drag.  I did not want to draw any attention.  So I put on my sparkliest gold sequin dress and my good tranny wig and served them glamour as stepped out of the car in front of the valet stand.  I figured if I had to be seen, it would be a scene. All heads turned in the restaurant patio next door. They were not sure who or what I was. I had my intern grab my bags and I rushed into the building. The VIP event at Mosaic featured top local performers such as legendary Tasha Kohl, Candi Caroll, Madison Deveareux, Veronica Vogue and Me. It was great to see the crowd, both gay and straight, cheer when “the girls” did our numbers. There were people in and out of the dressing room. All wanted to compliment us and tell us how great we were. It was not a typical drag bar, and not set up for any type of real shows, but everyone seemed to have a great night. (Many could not imagine that we were all really men. ) I jokingly  I told Tasha, that I needed to make at least 8 bucks…to cover my valet parking.  We laughed. I did some song that I thought might be a bit more suited to our eclectic crowd. I did some Eartha Kitt -Big Spender and a groovy little Gloria Estefan number. They both went over well.  I will never forget this night. It was a wild show in a basement lounge. I won't soon forget having to stand on the sidewalk while the valet brought my car. I felt like a classy bag lady waiting for the bus. All eyes were on me in downtown that night. The people on the side walk could not help but do a double take; especially the men. They were a little confused I think.
Mattie, Tasha Kohl and Candi Caroll at
Mosaic Lounge Fort Worth

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...