Friday, November 18, 2011

Pecan Pie

I made my first pecan pie. I am so proud of myself.  I love to make things, but do not consider my self a real cook.  I am more of a home cook, who enjoys a challenge. Plus I love old cook books. I get my best “ I wonder how you make that” ideas from the old books. 
My favorite book is from 1954, Better Homes and Gardens cook book. I found it at a used book sale. I felt like I had found money.   I love anything with nostalgic value.  Plus in 1954, butter and fats were a food group.   It still had the plastic inserts inside.  The back was not broken and in amazing shape. I inherited several well used cook books about 5 years ago.  I also have some family recipes that had been used for years.  One included was pecan pie. 
I remember GW used to make the best pecan pies, and unfortunately I have not had one since he passed five years ago. I think it was more of an emotional block.  So this year I worked up the courage to see if I could do it.  (Again this is part of my letting go, moving on process in life.)  Well I made the best damn pie ever!  I have learned to celebrate old memories in a special way;  By baking myself a pie.  And the best part was, I smiled the whole time I ate it. It really was not hard and I can’t wait to make another. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...