Tuesday, November 8, 2011

successful prelim

We had our first Miss Texas State Pageant preliminary last weekend.  I had been working hard to try and get contestants.  Also I had been in constant contact with the prelim promoter making sure everything was falling into place.  After a good evening of competition and entertainment, we crowned Xocora Cain Martinez the new Miss Lone Star State.  It was supposed to be a double crowning, but there were no at large contestants.  I was a little bummed about that, but I know all I can do is keep promoting and be the liaison for the owners.  It is becoming a challenge.  I guess this is the time that the “job” part of being Miss Texas State at large is setting in for me.  Xocora did a great job in talent, and look beautiful on gown.  I am glad to see her return from last year.  She is headed in the right direction and I wish her continued success as she prepares for our state level pageant in Sept 2012. 
I think the biggest challenge is encouraging the girls that you just competed with.  You are selected to step up and then turn and say….”do you want to do another prelim?”  You have to find genuine care and understanding to push the girls to keep working and follow you as the reining title holder.  I was glad to see so many returning girls, from last years state pageant, in attendance at the first prelim. I am glad to see that they are mature enough to move forward with the system again this year.  That is not always the case. MANY girls never come back due to lack of interest or hurt feelings after not winning.     I had four girls share with me their plans for entering future prelims. They are preparing now.   I have expressed my availability to help in any way I can. The only thing I can’t do is, do it for them.   I am also using my shows to reach new potential contestants.  Our next prelim will be after the new year begins.  I have several shows already on my calendar.  I am hoping to bring in some new faces.    I am also booked at Rainbow Lounge on Thursday.  I am hoping to make some good money.  Lord knows I need it. In three weeks I will be in Longview for a show too.
I am very proud of my self; the first prelim was a success.  I felt the pageant owners were please, and the promoter for the prelim was also happy.  Also I looked like I belonged up there.  My costumes were the sensation of the night.  Also I tried a new hair technique and was stunning at the close of the pageant.  I think I need to wear more red, I had lot of compliments on my color of dress.  It was just a little something I whipped up….”this old thing?”

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...