Friday, May 13, 2011

What is drag and more of my back story.

A drag queen is usually a man who dresses, and usually acts, like a caricature woman Example: (Tu Wong Fu, Pricilla, Torch Song Trilogy) often for the purpose of entertaining or performing.
(Thanks wikipedia for setting the world straight. I used them as a reference).

There are many kinds of drag artists and they vary greatly, from professionals who have starred in movies to people who just try it once. Drag queens also vary by class and culture and can vary even within the same city. Although many drag queens are presumed to be gay men or transgender people, there are drag artists of all genders and sexualities who do drag for various reasons. There are also different size categories in drag pageants. Regular and Plus Size.

I feel I am a regular kind of drag queen. Not a tranny.  I am plus size.  I do not claim to be female. I have never had hormones or plastic surgeries or nothing of the kind, to enhance my appearance.  I think of my self as naturally drag pretty. I do not want to be a transexual drag queen. 

Generally, drag queens dress in a female gender role, often exaggerating certain characteristics (such as make-up and eyelashes) for comic, dramatic or satirical effect. Other drag performers include drag kings, who are women who perform in male roles, faux queens, who are women who dress in an exaggerated style to emulate drag queens and faux kings, who are men who dress to impersonate drag kings.

The term drag queen usually refers to people who dress in drag for the purpose of performing, whether singing or lip-synching, dancing, participating in events such as gay pride parades, drag pageants, or at venues such as cabarets and discotheques. In the United Kingdom, alongside traditional drag work such as shows and performances, many drag queens engage in 'mix-and-mingle' or hosting work at night clubs or at private parties/events. Drag is a part of Western gay culture; it is often noted that the Stonewall riots on June 27, 1969 in New York City were inspired and led by drag queens, and, in part for this reason, drag queens remain a tradition at gay pride events. Prominent drag queens in the gay community of a city often serve as official or unofficial spokespersons, hosts or emcees, fund-raisers, chroniclers and community leaders.

A drag show is an entertainment consisting of a variety of songs, monologues or skits featuring either single performers or groups of performers in drag meant to entertain an audience. (Thats me, lip-synching  to love song at a local show: pic above)  They range from amateur performances at small bars to elaborately staged theatrical presentations. Many drag shows feature performers singing or lip-synching to songs while performing a pre-planned pantomime, or dancing. The performers often don elaborate costumes and makeup, and sometimes dress to imitate various famous female singers or personalities. There are generally two types of shows.  Charity shows help various organizations raise money. The tips, given to performers during the shows, are collected and given to charity .  Then you have paid shows, the entertainers keep the tips plus and are paid money for being apart of the show cast that night.  Usually it is not much, but can be substantially more if the entertainer is well known and “booked” regally as a quality entertainer.  I myself have made 150 a show, plus tips and in the beginning worked for tips only.  This was when I first stared out locally.  And some events are centered around drag, such as Southern Decadence where the majority of festivities are led by the Grand Marshals, who are traditionally drag queens.

There tend to be three types of drag names:

*The first are satirical names that play on words, such as Miss Understood, Peaches Christ, Ciara Mist, and Lypsinka. There is my one local favorite...Roxxanne Dubree.  It makes me laugh.  She is a performer who comes out once a year to raise money for turn-a-bout month.  That is when non-full time drag queens, put on the persona and have fun raising money for charity.  Usually its your bar staff and and husbands/boyfriends of the usual drag queens,  but it is not limited to just them.  Other local names include Sofonda Furr, Rhoda Heffer, Amanda Rider, Julianne Fries, London Raine
*The second type are names that trend toward glamour and extravagance, such as Dame Edna Everage, Chi Chi LaRue, Margo Howard-Howard, Betty "Legs" Diamond and The Lady Chablis. This is the type used by the character Albin in the movie and musical La Cage Aux Folles for his drag persona, "Miss ZaZa Napoli". Local names in Dallas Fort Worth include Amber Diva Daniels, Chelsea La Rue, Linze Serell, Rozlyn DuBois...plus many more.
*The third type is considered simpler but can have an in-depth backstory, cultural or geographical significance or simply be a feminine form of their "boy" name. Sometimes, Drag families emerge and all have same last name. Or someone uses another’s name as a way of making it seem like they are part of of well known drag family. This is stealing, sort of. Often a drag queen will pick a name or be given one by a friend or "drag mother" as a one-time occasion only to discover they like performing and go on to use a less-than ideal name for years. Drag queens do change names as well even using two or more concurrently for various reasons. Some examples of simpler names include, Betty Butterfield , Coco Peru and Divine.  I have even known girls who just keep adding names. In my opinion the more last names you have, the less talented you are.  I say, stop trying to ride the coat tails of other, make your own path.

I guess My name falls into this category.  I took a name that my siblings called me as a kid and turned it into MATTIE... and MADISON was a popular girls name.  I do not feel it is necessary to take the name of a drag family.  I have never been “drag” adopted by another better known queen/friend. I have chosen my own name and made it unique and my goal is to be my own person!
 I have even known girls who just keep adding names. So-N-So  Davenport, LaRue, Edwards, Ohara, smith and Wesson....too many names makes you an idiot.  In my opinion the more last names you have, the less talented you really are.  I say, stop trying to ride the coat tails of others, make your own path.


(Thanks wikipedia. I used them as a reference. )

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...