Friday, July 8, 2011

I'm a twiddle bug

 When I was a kid, there were a lot of cartoons and kid shows on TV.  These played especially in the morning and after school.  And of course, who could forget Saturday morning cartoons.  I remember I stayed home sick from school.  I’m sure I faked sickness that day actually. I was an expert at faking an upset stomach and diarrhea.  I mean what is mom going to do? Check?  Gross, sorry.  My mom would always say, if you stay home, you can’t go anywhere.  So if she went out during the day to run errands, I could not tag along with her.  It was about 1985.  I was watching Sesame Street. I enjoyed the characters and funny skits, I remember the Twiddlebug family.   Twiddlebugs are a species of colorful insects who live in Ernie's window box. ( I loved Bert and Ernie too) Thomas Twiddlebug (Papa), Tessie Twiddlebug (Mama), Timmy (son), Tina (daughter). They lived in a milk carton and the flowers were their like tree to them. They were so small and cute. 
The high-pitched effect of the Twiddlebugs' voices was accomplished by recording the performers at slow speed, then playing the vocal tracks back at normal speed. The characters' very deliberate enunciation is a result of the performers' attempts to keep the dialogue comprehensible after it was sped up.  All I knew was it was funny and entertaining. 
The Twiddlebugs seen most frequently on Sesame Street were a family of four. These Twiddlebugs often find themselves facing difficult challenges, such as taking their car to the zoo or hanging a postage stamp on the wall. Presented with such daunting situations, it would an easy thing for them to simply give up, and indeed they express despair when their initial attempts at solving these problems meet with agonizing failure. However, the Twiddlebugs persevere in the face of adversity, and through collective brainstorming and cooperation, they always manage to overcome even the most seemingly insurmountable tribulations, such as figuring out how to exit a roller rink. These moments of triumph are cause for celebration for the Twiddlebugs, who remain blissfully unaware that their ultimate solution is rarely the most logical.
I think I may be part Twiddlebug.  I relate to them.  When ever I am having difficulty in life, it can seem there are no answers. I may feel like a small little twiddlebug.   I may even see problems bigger than they really are sometimes. I have recently had issues with money.  I had two weeks to survive on about 25 dollars, I was about to lose my home and every penny counted.  I pulled some resources, and sold a dress or two.  But some how, I made it to my next pay day. Everything got paid on time.  Part of life is dealing with these type of crisis.  It would be easier to give up.  But I don’t.  I have to review each problem until I find a solution.  I do not want to fail or make the wrong decisions.  Sometime you have to figure it out as you go along in life.  Since the passing of my mother and father, I have gained true independence and self reliance.  That was a good thing.  Now I can face problems head on and do my best to make the right decisions in life.  I have grown as a person, in part thanks to my family, friends, and the Twiddlebugs, who live in a flowerbox.

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...