Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Trunk Show


I have a busy week ahead, actually a busy month.  The end of the month I have a gown sale in Fort Worth.  I have been asked again by the Imperial Court Fort Worth de Arlington, to be a vendor during their coronation events.  This will be my second time being a vendor.  The guests for coronation come and spend the whole weekend in Fort Worth.  They attend various functions including the in-town show and brunch, visit the local clubs and of course enjoy socializing with friends in the hospitality suite.  One new event they have added in the last few years has been shopping for specialty items from local vendors.  The hosts of the event, invite jewelry makers, wig stylists, and me, a costume/ dress designer, to come and display  our goods.  It is like a trunk show.  We set up booths in the atrium of the hotel and display our creations for the attendees to view and purchase.  I usually try to bring 30-40 unique dress.  Most size 14 to 22. After all, these are men, who dress in drag to raise money for charity.   I cater to a certain type of entertainer.  They enjoy dressing up in female costumes and it makes it like a costume ball. 
The attendees are a wonderful group of people. Most are gracious and enjoy checking out the dresses I bring.  There are a few “jerks” that come too. They ALWAYS look but never buy and thing.  They want you to give them a million dollar dress for 5 bucks.  That is not how business works.   They are the worst.   I have learned to never make a special piece with out some money upfront,  never take a check unless you have sold to them before and never take the rude comments personally.  Some people just don’t know how to act. 
This is defiantly the busy season for sewing.  I am currently working my little fingers to the bone.  I have to have something to sell.   I have had a few out of town clients contact me hoping I can bring a few special item for the to view.  I had one request for white gown, size 18.  I had one person ask for a red with a long train.  Queens are funny, they all want the inside connection and want to beat everyone to the best dresses.  I will see what I can create, and hopefully they like it and purchase it that day. If not maybe someone else will.  I also have to complete two dresses for a client in Austin.  I don’t think people realize how much I invest in producing a successful trunk show.  I have money invested for materials, including fabrics, notions, zippers, rhinestones, and packaging.  All the money comes from my pocket upfront.  Also I invest time into design and hours of labor.  It is a gamble to know if they will sell, or weather I have to take them home again. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...