Tuesday, December 13, 2011

An awsome weekend.

Our small town has probably 20 churches. The town I refer to is the small town I grew up in, not the big city I live in now.  They all worshipped just down the road from each other and tried hard to enjoy harmony.   One thing that brought the different religions together was a spirit of friendship and charity.  When I was a kid, many of the local organizations and churches would help poor families to enjoy a bright and happy Christmas.  Some churches helped with gifts, some helped provide groceries and others would help pay winter heating bills as part of their expression of love during the holiday season. They were Santa to many kids, including us. I was five years old and I really thought Santa Clause existed.    I was too young to under stand that Santa did not bring the surprise gifts that magically appeared on Christmas morning. They had bee brought by  the local Churches. Yes, we were among the many families that the charities helped each year.  We were blessed to receive toys and clothes.  And often times would find groceries boxed neatly on our front porch.  
This past week end I traveled out of town for a show.  One of the local bars in Gun Barrel City was raising money for their local Toys for Tots.  Drag queens have long been asked to help use our shows to raise funds.   I feel there is nothing wrong with using my talents to help other people.  Plus the people there are always friendly at Garlow’s.  The drag show was a good one. All the entertainers dusted off the Christmas music CDs .I enjoyed working with some of my best drag friends in the show. Plus I met a few new faces.   


I did one upbeat Christmas song. It is from my favorite Christmas Album by Mariah Carey titled ‘Christmas-Please come home’.   I wore my red velvet gown and added white gloves and white faux fur stole.  It was a glamorous look.  I knew toward the end of the show, the crowd maybe ready for something non-Christmas.  I wore my favorite lime green sequin fringe jumps suit for my last number and danced the house down while lip syncing to a Jennifer Lopez dance mix. It was a huge hit. The crowd always likes to see a big girl shake her stuff.   I had a great time socializing between sets too.  I especially liked chatting with a new girl from Longview TX.  She is so me 15 years ago.  Her name was “Gemini Fyre”  (Fire) .  I swear they kept announcing her as Gemini  Fry.....I nick named her Julianne Fries.  She quickly became one of us girls.  She is a big girl who has so much potential.  We had raised 1700 dollars for charity! By the end of the night I was ready for a good sleep at the hotel.  I think I went to bed about 3am.
The next morning was rough. My phone beeped with an incoming text message.  I checked it.  It was “Sable”.  She is one of the main people who had coordinated the shows on behalf of the bar. She had said the night before that she wanted me to help go buy toys with the money we raised.  I was a few cocktails into the night and said, ”yeah sure”.  Damn. I was regretting saying yes to her.  It was too early and I was so tired. I got dressed in jeans and a zip up sweat jacket.  I was yawning the whole time.  I didn’t realize she meant we would go first thing in the morning.   Plus I had no idea what toys kids might want.  
A small group of us met at the front of Walmart in Gun Barrel City. We each had an empty basket.   We were soon joined by more friends.  Our goal was to invade the toy department and spend the 1700 dollar that we had raised on toys for the kids.  We teamed up in twos.  Each duo was told how much to budget and what age group to buy for.  I and my good friend “Natasha P.” made a great team. (She was still half asleep and had eyeliner from the show. ) She would pick out the toys and I would approve.  Then I would add up cost our selections as we went.   Two of our favorite picks, were a pair of Cabbage patch Dolls in matching outfits!  We kept referring to them as our Mattie and Natasha dolls.  Each group had baskets over flowing with toys! It was great fun, shopping for toys.  We laughed and giggled and squealed like a bunch of girls. Natasha and I tried to buy equal amounts of girl and boy toys.  Even though, picking the girl toys was more fun.  It was the most fun I had ever had shopping.  I felt bad for the cashier.  He was an old man who just kept scanning and scanning until all of the carts were totaled.  Sable paid the man in cash and we happily pushed the carts out the door to load into a waiting truck.   We looked like a group of mental patients with money, but we had a blast.   We let the so-called real guys in our group transport the toys to the bar.  From there they would be sent to be distributed by the Toys for Tots local organization.
 I was so glad I was able to help.  It was awesome to know I have many great friends and we all came together to help fill a need at Christmas time.  Once I was a poor kid, and now it feels good to give back.  I smile when I think about the joy that the kids will have on Christmas.  Especially who ever receives the Mattie and Natasha Cabbage patch Dolls!
Mattie and Natasha Cabbage Patch Kids

Jerry Francis, Natahsa P, Brian Paris, Sable Alexander, Josh Joblin, Mattie Madison, Gemini
and knealing in front Brittney Brooks. Photo By Linze Serell


No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...