Thursday, December 8, 2011

I want a comal

One of the things I am going to buy myself is a comal.  A comal is a smooth, flat griddle typically used in Mexico to cook tortillas, toast spices, sear meat, and generally prepare food. Comals are similar to the American griddle. My Mama had one on the corner of the stove at all times. Comals for home use are generally round and made from heavy cast iron, and sized to fit over either one burner on the stovetop. They can also cover two burner front to back (elongated oval). In many Indigenous and Hispanic cultures, the comal is handed down from grandmother to mother to daughter, the idea being that a comal tempered over many years of usage will heat faster, and cook cleaner. I do not know what happened to the one my mom had.  I assume one of my sisters took it.  I wish now I had it. 
I have been teaching my self to make flour tortillas. The flour tortilla is probably best known as the tortilla used to make burritos, taco or eaten as bread with a meal.  It first started out as a craving.  I wanted some fresh ones. My mom made them for years; I remember watching her make them. I also remember eating them right off the comal with butter or cheese.  My mom would scold me for eating too many before dinner.  “We won’t have enough, if you keep eating them”
I had a basic idea of what was going to happen. But I did not know the exact recipe measurements that she used.  She always just made them by heart.  She used flour, salt, lard, baking powder and hot water.  That was all I knew. You mix all the dry ingredients and them add in the hot water.  It would form dough as you mixed it.  My mom would mix with her hands and then let it rest on the bowl.  I found a recipe and gave it my best shot.   It was not pretty at first.  I had flour every where. I took the large ball of dough and made ‘egg size’ balls by pinching off and rolling the smaller balls in my hands.  I rolled them out with a rolling pin and used a skillet to cook them.  I did not have a comal.  They were too doughy and “fat”.  Anyone who has ever tried to make them will understand my use of the word “fat” in reference to tortilla.  The tortillas ideally are round flat breads. Mine were too think and undercooked. It was like eating warm dough. It was not a good first attempt.   Also I was not very good at rolling them our round. The each looked like the shape of the state of Texas.  They were edible, but not great. 
I have continued to make them in batches.  Each batch seems to be improving.  Now they resemble the shape of cactus. These are the flat oblong kinds that grow wild in Texas.  I think they will continue to improve and now I am ready to put the skillet away and buy me a comal. One day I hope they turn out as good as I remember my mom’s tortillas.   

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...