Monday, December 19, 2011

hog nuts


Friday night was a cocktail party thrown by some new friends in Carrollton, just north of Dallas. It had been years since I had been to a party.   I was running late because I was trying to finish a new play I was reading.  I was close to the end and wanted to finish it.  I was glad to had been invited, but still I was nervous about attending.  I some times get nervous around new people. I arrived about 30 min late.  I was also going for a new, younger look.  I styled my hair different.  I wore a new shirt; I kept hoping it looked like the display in the store.  I found the house fairly easily. I had gotten good directions from my friend.  He was already texting me thinking I might be lost.  The neighbor hood was a few steps up from my neighborhood in Irving.  I parked my car along the street.  She looked out of place among the new SUV’s and luxury cars.  The two guys having the party were obviously well off. The house was very nice.  I took deep breath as I entered.  I kept thinking,” What am I doing, you’re not going to fit in here” I quickly found my friend, Brian.  He gave the quick guided tour and a beer.  Brian is friends with the party hosts.  I have only known them as acquaintances.  I started to notice a few more familiar faces.  I was starting to relax a bit.  I even tried to break the ice by making jokes around the buffet table. You never know what your hosts are serving you.  The guys laughed when I picked up a pop corn chicken bite and asked “what’s this, hog nuts?” in a high pitched girls voice. The room roared with laughter.  I was using humor to fit in.  It worked.  It is very much the way you have to win the crowd over, when you MC a drag show.  Over all the party was good. I stayed for a bit and mingled. Then it was time to say my “thank yous”. The hosts both tuned out to be very nice guys.  I made my way to the car.  It was nice to be in a different circle of friends.  I was home by midnight. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...