Monday, September 19, 2011

My weekend was good.

Hidden Door Show
I sweated off my makeup, not a good look
But my legs look good.
I had a show on Saturday. It was at the Hidden Door in Dallas. This is not my usual spot but overall the night was a success. Plus the beer was 50c a glass.  I am not a beer drinker unless I’m close to broke.  That was me on Saturday night. The show was a fundraiser show for Home for the Holidays. Some times I am asked to raise a few dollars for local charity, and I truly don’t mind doing so. There are so many charities that need money. And ‘Home for the Holidays’ in a good one. Basically they help send HIV/Aids affected people home to see their families, for what may be their last visit. Or they may bring them family to them. These individuals need money to help with travel, so me donating my time is well worth it.  So many people are still fighting this terrible illness. Plus the show was during Gay Pride Week activities in Dallas.  I knew it would be a good crowd and it was. Also I got to spend time with some close friends of mine. They are a couple, one is a queen like me, and he is so funny.  I was at the beginning of the line up and again at the end. So I had 30 entertainers in between to enjoy the show and laugh with friends. I know that sound like a lot but everyone is welcome at a charity show. So they start early and end late. Plus the more money they raise the better I say. We raised over 3000 that night.  I also got to see other friends that I don’t always see. Each one was in a good mood. The show ended about midnight. I was so tired that after my last number, I went straight home. I had been in drag for about 6 hours. I took off my face and relaxed before bed.  I wanted to get some sleep before the Dallas  Gay Parade the next day. I had plans to go with friends and family.  My cousin Johnny and his boyfriend came to Dallas for the weekend.  We got there 2 hours before the parade started in order to get a shady spot and set up our camping chairs on the grass along Cedar Springs. I was not really in the mood for thousands of high pitched voices and naked drunk people or chicks that dress like dudes, but I went. I quickly remembered what a beating it is to go every year. Im glad only happens once a year. I did enjoy the colorful floats and saw some of my favorite queens on the floats.  I was bummed that I was not asked to be on a float, after all I am a newly crowned title holder. I had already spoken to Jade and she I want to make sure next years winners have their moment in the Hot Blazing sun….since we did not. As expected the biggest, most colorful costumes and floats were from the Latin clubs. They really know how to sparkle and shine. I know that next month is the Tarrant County Pride Parade. I got a phone call today, our Pageant system owners want Jade and I to ride in the Tarrant County Pride Parade. They have already made the arrangement. So I’m excited about that. Next year we will hopefully have representation in both Dallas and Fort Worth Pride Parades!  I guess I will paint my face and don my big crown... and I will wave like a beauty queen. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...