Monday, August 8, 2011

adrenaline rush

There are two times, when I can’t hear. I know that sounds funny. My mind gets so over loaded with emotions that my hearing goes mute.  One is when I am sad.  The worst is when some one close dies.  That is always an emotional time.  It is like my brain shuts down, I can not hear anyone comforting me, nor do I remember what is said later.  When I lost my mom, the hospital called me from back home.  North Texas has just been blasted with an ice storm and a few inches of snow on top of that.  The hospital called me at 11 am.  My mom who suffered from diabetes for years had died of renal failure in the hospital.  I heard the words and then went numb. The normal drive of two hours, took 4 hours because of the weather.  I remember I had packed a bag, and got dressed.  I know I was crying uncontrollably.  I also remember I could not hear.  My mind was racing but I don’t even know what I said or was said to me.  I remember seeing things happening but being so over whelmed that my ears did not work.  The grief was too much I guess. 
I also get like this when I am mad.  I am usually a nice person, but when something makes me seriously angry, that is it.  I can’t seem to focus enough to hear.  I am like a bull, seeing red.  Funny thing I seem to get real straight when I’m angry.  Then I calm down and I am ok again.  I’m glad that does not happen very often.  I think it may be the sudden adrenaline rush. 

I did some research and here is what I found out.  I may have a real condition, that is triggered  by stress:
Adrenaline rush refers to an activity of the adrenal gland in a fight-or-flight response, when it is releasing adrenaline (epinephrine). When releasing adrenaline, one's body releases dopamine and can act as a natural pain killer. A chronic hyper-adrenaline is a common symptom of an anxiety disorder. An adrenaline rush causes the muscles to perform respiration at an increased rate improving strength. It also works with the nervous system to interpret impulses that trigger selective glands. Common symptoms that sufferers of acute stress disorder experience are: numbing; detachment; derealization; depersonalization or dissociative amnesia; continued re-experiencing of the event by such ways as thoughts, dreams, and flashbacks; and avoidance of any stimulation that reminds them of the event. During this time, they must have symptoms of anxiety, and significant impairment in at least one essential area of functioning.
In my quest for self understanding, I thought this was interesting.  I am not a doctor, nor do I feel this is abnormal.  There are treatments, such as drug therapies’ that can last up to four weeks, but symptoms usually work the selves out, according to what I read.  Interesting, very interesting.  My body has coping mechanisms I didn’t even know about. 

No comments:

Spring track meet 1985

In the spring, my elementary school would have a city track meet.   Much a like a real competitive track meet, the elementary school tra...